I got the Fractal Design Node 304, and i am now ready to build!
I chose to buy the white Node 304 because everything i have is black, and well if my server was going to be black it would be boring. But this case have a white finish with some black details that i think is very nice. Also, the case comes space for six drives. I have been thinking about if i am going to have 6 drives or not, and i think i will go with just 4 HDD’s and two SSD’s. One SSD for FreeNAS and one for the jails and plugins. But buying SSD’s and new drives will be later, because i can’t afford that right now.
Building the server!
So building the server went nearly without problems. Some stuff that i had problems with:
- The cables were too long, from the case and the power supply. But i managed to do some cable management.
- Screws were to hard, or maybe i had a bad screwdriver. And even the “hand tight” screws, could not be tightened or opened hand tight without the screwdriver.
- This has nothing to do with the case, but the power for the harddrives were a bit short. So i had to choose to either power the SSD or my old Samsung drive. And i had to use the SSD for the OS, so my old drive will be without power for some time. In the future when i need the extra disk i am going to buy this 4X SATA power splitter cable.
And som positive stuff:
- They included three fans! And they are really quiet, even on high speed.
- Fan controller with a fan speed of slow, medium and fast. It had connectors to all three fans that came with the case.
- Making everything fit was no problem, i can say that the designers did some good job with that.
- It includes the cap that you can fit on top of the motherboard mounts, so you can use your screwdriver to tighten them.
- Cable management was a bit hard with all the cables. But a pluss is that the designers tried to make it more easy with cable management slots.
Here are some pictures of the final build, please do not get a heart attack when you see the cable management.
Something that you should think of before buying the case, is that you do need an Mini ITX motherboard. I can believe that some guy bought this with a normal motherboard an was like, “Why doesn’t this fit!?”.
What do you guys think? Please leave a comment to tell me, i will be replying! Also, if anyone want the cardboard case (see my last post), tell me, i would be happy to ship it to you.